*Note* Apparently all it took to get my mojo back was to whine about it LOL. After I got that out of my system I finally had a few new ideas – one I’m really excited to share!
I’ve had the Swoon pattern for a while, and in turns I’ve talked myself into and out of it. It is a lot of cutting and a lot of work, but I think I’m finally ready to tackle it.
This will be a gift for a friend of the family who just graduated high school and is off to UVA in the fall. Their colors are blue and orange, and their whole house was decked out when I went to the graduation party last weekend.
After thinking about it and looking in my stash, I came upon the bundle of Tsuru I had purchased back when it first came out (last December). I had to have it, but I didn’t have a project in mind. This is a perfect use for it I think. It has lots of contrast, and I think the Swoon pattern looks best when there is a lot of contrast between the points.
I went to Hobby Lobby last night to get my background fabric. I had intended on getting a light gray, but they didn’t have any. They did have Kona Sandstone, which reminds me a little bit of Essex Yarn-Dyed Flax. Similar color, but without the texture. Since I’ve seen Tsuru paired with YDF a lot lately, I thought it would work nicely.
I also got a little something for me.
After laying it all out, excitedly taking a picture and uploading it to flickr I realized I had grouped some of the prints so they were all on the inside of the “stars”. Sometimes I need that disconnect to see certain details – I’m often too close. I think that’s one of the reasons I take so many in-progress photos.
I spent some time rearranging the groupings, and this is what I came up with. I think it distributes the prints a little bit better and maintains a few blue/orange groupings.
I’m planning on a twin size quilt – 6 blocks with sashing. I haven’t decided between 6″ sashing on all fronts, or 4″ between blocks and 8″ border.
Linking up to WIP Wednesday over at Freshly Pieced!