As I mentioned yesterday, after I got hurt I had a huge urge to just make something. I didn’t care if it was perfect, I just had to make. This is what I came up with. I started with the four blocks based on some do. Good Stitches blocks I saw in the main group on flickr.
Then I added scrappy charm squares as sashing and a border to tie everything together. A few of the charms ended up fussy cut and I love them.
It is backed in a blue on black fabric and bound in a gray plaid.
I pieced and quilted it using Aurifil 50wt thread #2605. The quilting is simple straight line quilting on either side of each seam. I quilted it with the same color I pieced it with because I thought it would blend best based on the quilting pattern I had chosen.
This was my first time using Aurifil and it was an interesting experience – it is much thinner than the Mettler 50wt I used to use, so more fits on the bobbin. That was definitely a plus. It did take a bit of getting used to, however. The thread is a bit stretchy so I had to be careful removing my work from my machine that I didn’t unthread my needle in the process. Once I figured that out, it was smooth sailing.
I will definitely be using it again! The spools are huge – 1300m, almost three times as big as the spools of Mettler I was using. I only have a few spools in my collection now but I’m sure they will be with me for a while.
Finished size: 58.5″ x 58.5″