This has been a week of reshuffling. Projects that I thought I had time for now go to the top, and a new project snuck in.
My big news is my new sewing machine has arrived! Meet my new Janome 8900! I haven’t named her yet, and we are still having a bit of a learning curve, but it has been more positive than negative so far. The thread cutter (when it works) and knee lift are awesome.
I was so excited to have the machine I decided to sneak in a project just for me. My first major foray on the machine was a quilt-as-you-go zip case for my new-to-me iPad mini. I used some of my most favorite scraps to make it. There are several out of print and rare fabrics included as well as some old and new favorites.
I sort of frankensteined together some different ideas but ultimately based it on a basic non-boxed zip pouch.
I quilted all of my scraps on to one layer of batting and then I added a second layer of batting and quilted it very lightly so there wouldn’t be many stitches that could rub against the device and possibly scratch it. I added a polkadot lining and a gray zipper with a tab that doubles as a grab-handle. I’m really happy with how it turned out. It is a tiny bit snug, but now that it has streched out after a few days of use it fits perfectly.
Included in it are some 3 Sisters for Moda, Suzuko Koseki, Tsuru, Martha Negley’s Farmington Feathers, Kate Spain Central Park, Parson Gray, and some very special text fabrics.
In even bigger news, the baby quilt for my boss is now due ASAP! His wife’s water broke over the weekend about a month early. No baby yet, but soon! I got the top, batting, and backing pin-basted last night and plan to start quilting tonight. I think I’m going to go with the safe-bet and just straight line quilt this one – I don’t feel comfortable doing my first FMQ (ever) on a new machine, on a deadline. I have some ideas already.
Right after that is making my Project Night Night quilt top and quilting both it and Amy’s – I agreed to quilt them both if she would bind them both. I need to make sure they are done early enough that she has time to finish them before our guild’s deadline.
That means that my second Small Plates quilt is now on the back burner. Amy came over to sew since she is on furlough and I had the holiday off. I was able to pair up the sashing and centers as well as get the short sashing attached and pressed on Monday. I’ll circle back to this after the baby quilt and Project Night Night quilts are done.
I hope I haven’t bitten off more than I can chew!
Here’s my list:
- Baby quilt for boss –
10/31 (top complete)ASAP!
- Make Project Night Night top and back 50″x60″ –
12/1011/11 (date moved up so Amy has time to bind it.)
- Baste and quilt Amy’s Project Night Night quilt – 11/11
- Baste and quilt my Project Night Night quilt – 11/11
- 121 block Small Plates – 11/31 (blocks half done)
- Design January do. Good Stitches quilt – 12/31
- “Green quilt” for me – no deadline (began cutting – 60/512 print pairs cut, need to decide on a solid)
Linking up to WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced!