After my frustrations using the lovely but slightly irritating Nani Iro last week, I decided I needed to chuck my list out the window and play with a new stack of fabric – Violet Craft’s Waterfront Park.
When the line came out I only bought part of it – charcoal gray, navy, peach, purple, white, and teal. I also didn’t buy the “shattered”, “union station”, “half square triangles”, or “breeze” prints. I liked them all but I wanted to narrow down my purchasing since I didn’t have any real plans for it.
I decided to go for my big block pattern for this one too. I finished all the blocks but I didn’t get the top quite stitched together yet. I really like how it is turning out.
So much so that I’m thinking of buying a few of the yellow and bright orange prints I didn’t buy the first time around, and pairing it with the charcoal and white prints I have left. But that’s a project for another day, and another discussion about stash building vs. using.
I’m firmly in a stash using mode this year – I have no storage space in my tiny studio apartment and the boxes of fabric are all over the place and in the way. I’m not committing to the fabric fast that’s going on as I’m making exceptions for backgrounds, backings, and crazy-good sales, but on the other hand I’m not going out of my way to buy fabric for projects that don’t even exist yet. I have enough on my plate this year.
I’m not expecting to get anything done this coming week – I’m up early this morning to head to the airport. I’m on my way to Michigan to say my final goodbyes to my grandfather on my mom’s side this weekend and be with family. He passed suddenly last week and this was very unexpected.
I hope you have a productive week! For kicks, here’s my list:
- Waterfront Park top – 2/15 (blocks made, need to stitch into a top)
- February do. Good Stitches block – 2/28
- Design, make block, and post do. Good Stitches Nurture Circle March Quilt – 2/28
Make a back forthe Chicopee Checkerboard top that Amy gave me, get it sandwiched, quilted, and bound. – 3/15 (back made, need to finish it)
- Nani Iro Wedding Quilt –
2/283/31 (top made, need to get the backing delivered, pre washed, basted, quilted, and bound)
- Nani Iro quilt for me – 3/31 (pieces cut)
- Nani Iro giant star – 3/31 (Nani Iro pieces cut, waiting on background)
- Nani Iro Baby/Lap Quilt – 3/31 (pieces cut, may make an exception for 1 or 2 more yards of Nani Iro because as it percolates I’m not loving the shot cotton I’ve already cut – but I can probably use it as a back.)
Linking up to WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced!