I know I’ve been MIA lately but I don’t think that’s going to change much in the next couple of months. You may remember back in August I fell and hurt my wrist. Well, apparently at the time I also tore a ligament and a tendon in my rotator cuff in that same arm. The pain wasn’t as acute as the wrist so the true extent of the damage was masked by a cortisone shot. Once that shot wore off in early February I knew there was something wrong. My ortho and I went from discussing surgery on my wrist to discussing surgery on my shoulder very quickly. I ended up getting a cortisone shot in my wrist for the time being.
Surgery to repair my shoulder is scheduled for next Friday. I’m supposed to be able to return to work after 10 days, but the recovery will be slow. I won’t be able to reach up or out for 6-8 weeks, and I won’t be fully recovered for at least 4 months. The sewing machine is out of the question for at least a couple of months, as is the rotary cutter and iron.
In their stead I’ve been planning my entry for QuiltCon – an EPP hexie and 36 degree diamond flower pattern inspired by the flowering trees of DC – especially the cherry blossoms. I finished cutting all the fabric tonight, and it is all kitted up in my favorite storage method – ziploc bags:
I made some time on Sunday to go to the National Arboretum to see all the different cultivars of flowering cherries. They were really beautiful and the day was gorgeous – 80 with a nice breeze and lots of sun.
I love how many shades of pink the cherry cultivars come in, from white and pale pink to fuchsia! I’m taking all of these shades into account for my project.
I also stopped by to see the Bonsai museum. I’m always fascinated by Bonsai – just incredible work. They had some trees in training since 1795!
Lastly I saw my other favorite installation – dwarf and slow-growing conifers (evergreen trees). I find them so interesting to look at – all the different shapes and sizes.
Also prior to surgery I’m pushing hard to get my sampler quilt top done and off to the longarmer. It is currently in rows and should be finished after one more good sewing session. Hopefully I’ll get that in tomorrow.
It is coming out really nicely, even if it is taking much longer than I anticipated. I went into MidAtlanticMod expecting to blow through the blocks in the first couple of days and leave with a finished top. How wrong I was. There was a lot of frustration and even some tears, but I managed to get through 26 additional blocks, bringing the total to 29. I finished the last 7 last weekend along with the setting squares. I put the rows together Monday night.
Here’s what I had after MidAtlanticMod:
I have few things left on my “must sew before surgery” list but it is getting shorter:
* Finish the top
* Make a label
* Make the back
* Send everything to the quilter